If you are a parent of a child with special needs, you are not alone. I imagine it can feel like that at times. Not only are you facing the normal stressors of everyday life, but you are also dealing with the challenges and struggles your child is facing. But we are here to come alongside you on this journey.
Children with special needs tend to find themselves having trouble focusing, processing their feelings, transitioning in different environments, sleeping, and more. As a parent, if you are being totally honest, you may find yourself facing feelings of frustration, uncertainty, sadness, resentment, or guilt.
Let’s explore how essential oils can support both you and your child, as you walk this challenging, yet rewarding, road.
If you are anything like me you may wonder how essential oils work so I wanted to share the science behind essential oils with you.
When talking about emotions, we must mention the limbic system. The limbic system is a system of nerves and networks in the brain that controls basic emotions and drives. It is the emotional brain.
It supports five major functions: emotions, behavior, motivation, long-term memory, and sense of smell. Have you ever spontaneously cried or laughed depending on whether the memory was happy, sad or traumatic? This reaction is your limbic system at work. When we inhale the aroma of something like baked goods, fried food, grass or essential oil, the odor molecules travel through the nose where they register with nerves in the olfactory membranes in the nose lining.
The odor molecules stimulate this lining of nerve cells and trigger electrical impulses to the olfactory bulb in the brain. The olfactory bulb then transmits the impulses to the amygdala - where emotional memories are stored - and to other parts of the limbic system of the brain. The unique structure of the molecules of essential oils can directly stimulate the hypothalamus and limbic lobe of the brain. Inhaling essential oils may alleviate stress and emotional trauma as well as increase the production of thyroid and growth hormones.
The amygdala (where emotional memories are stored) plays a major role in the storage and release of emotional trauma. Our sense of smell is directly linked to emotional states and behaviors, even if they have been stored since childhood. Our sense of smell, one of the five senses, is the ONLY way to stimulate the amygdala. The amygdala does not respond to words said or words heard. This is why the use of essential oils is so therapeutic to the release of stored emotions.
Essential oils enable us to access stored or forgotten memories and/or suppressed emotions. This allows us to acknowledge, integrate or release them. If we don't, these memories and suppressed emotions can cause disease in our bodies such as feeling blue or feeling afraid. Essential oils, when combined with prayer and seeking the Holy Spirit (and other modalities such as massage) can have a healing effect on our mind, emotions, and body, especially when we incorporate them into our daily practice.
This is great news! That means you can use essential oils to recall memories, both good and bad. If they are bad, you can use the oils to help you release cellular memories stored in the body, allowing you to process and move past them.
*I am not a doctor. I am not here to diagnose, treat, or cure any of your illnesses. The content I cover is for informational purposes only.
Are you the parent of a child with special needs? Do you know someone who is?
If you want products that work, then quality matters. When you shop with Young Living you are getting quality products backed by a ‘Seed to Seal’ guarantee that you won’t find anywhere else. You can expect that Young Living will provide you with only the BEST!
- plant material that is grown on corporately-owned farms or carefully vetted partner farms (that you CAN visit!)
- sustainable farming and sourcing practices, providing the purest oil
- great care is taken to preserve and protect natural resources
- hand-weeded fields and ZERO use of pesticides
- oils that retain all their natural constituents and therapeutic properties
- use of food-grade distillers with state-of-the-art design and distillation methods
- low pressure and low-temperature distillation, without the use of solvents or synthetic chemicals
- rigorous testing on each batch by internal labs and third-party facilities
- oils that are carefully reviewed through every step of production in order to meet or exceed industry safety and purity standards (beyond organic!)
And the best part… if these products do not meet their high standards they are rejected and will not be bottled or packaged as a Young Living product. Now that’s amazing!!
As a parent, how important is quality to you on a scale of 1-10? 1 - not important, 10 - very important?
On a scale of 1-10, how important is it that a company be transparent with you about what is in its products? 1 - not important, 10 - very important.
The three main ways to use essential oils are aromatically, topically, and internally.
As always, when using essential oils on adults or children, you never want to put them directly into the eyes or ears. You also want to be aware of any blends that may contain citrus oils as these are photosensitive and should be avoided if being exposed to direct sunlight.
You may have to get creative with how you will get the oils into your child’s system, especially if they are sensitive to smells, but it can be done!
- Infuse sensory materials with essential oils, i.e. rice, DIY play dough, bubbles.
- Add ‘diffusers’ to the room where your child is working or playing - use cotton balls, corks, felt pads, anything that absorbs oil and place around the room.
- Diffuse while your child is NOT in the room, the effects will still linger but the scent won’t be as strong when they enter.
- Spray your child’s sheets with a calming blend about an hour BEFORE they go to bed.
- Add oils to everyday-use products like shampoos and lotions.
- Add Vitality oils to your child’s smoothies, drinks, or food. Be sure to avoid plastic containers when adding oils to food and drinks.
**As you begin to use essential oils on and around your child, it is best to start with just one oil at a time so you can appropriately determine the effects. Then build from there.
Though this is not an all-inclusive list, these are some of the most commonly-used essential oils for children with special needs and the benefits they provide.
Vetiver - promotes calm and relaxation; can help with sensory-processing issues
*Lavender - can help calm, relax, and balance emotions rooted in anger & frustration
Cedarwood - can help promote peaceful and restorative sleep
*Frankincense - can help with focus and can reduce negative emotions or reactions
*Peppermint - soothing and can calm restlessness
Bergamot - increases feelings of wellbeing, relaxing for the mind and body
Rosemary - can help to improve cognition and concentration
*Valor - promotes courage and self-esteem
*Peace & Calming - can help to calm nervous tension and promote relaxation
*Included in the Premium Starter Kit
Skin sensitivities are fairly common among children. However, these sensitivities may be magnified for those with special needs. Young Living has many gentle oils and products that are safe for even the most sensitive of skin types. If at any time oil is too “hot” or “cool”, just apply more carrier or discontinue use all together. The feet are a good place to test out new oils. If your child does not react well to that specific oil, choose another and come back to that one at a later date.
When choosing a carrier oil, consider any food sensitivities or allergies your child may have. Many carrier oils are fruit or nut-based, which could cause a reaction if your child has a sensitivity to that specific food group. Many people often mistakenly assume the adverse reactions are from the essential oils themselves and completely overlook the carrier. If you are unsure, apply the carrier oil separately to test for any reaction.
Try these essential oils - they are great for supporting healthy-looking skin!
Lavender - great for all skin types and the perfect addition to lotions and creams.
Gentle Baby - helps to rejuvenate the skin; great for soothing and calming.
Tea Tree - a very gentle oil that supports your skin’s natural healing process.
Rose Ointment is another Young Living product that is deeply nourishing and perfect for dry, irritated skin. Rose essential oil improves skin texture, while Tea Tree works to soothe rough, irritated skin.
---- / / ----
Did you know that soaps, shampoos, even laundry soaps, and fabric softeners can irritate your skin?
Download the ‘Think Dirty’ app and scan your personal care products. Report back here in the comments with your findings!
There are many reasons a child may struggle with a lack of focus or concentration, some of which could include the following:
- Separation anxiety
- Fear of what others may think
- Stress or trauma
- Learning disorder
If your child has already been diagnosed with a special need, these issues can be even more difficult to address. Let’s talk about a few Young Living options that can help with concentration!
Brain Power seems to be the first go-to for many parents in helping their children with better focus and concentration. It contains powerful oils such as Sacred Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Frankincense, Melissa, Blue Cypress, Lavender, and Helichrysum, which are very high in sesquiterpenes. Google the benefits of sesquiterpenes… you can thank me later! ;) Diffuse or apply topically to the back of the neck, brainstem, temples, or under the nose as needed.
There are plenty of other oils and supplements you can use to support your child’s focus and concentration. Dilute and apply these oils below to the back of their neck, top of their head, and their big toes. Allow your child to inhale these oils from the bottle or out of the diffuser. Remember that consistency is key with the use of essential oils and supplements. For many people, it takes 3-4 months to really see the difference.
- Mindwise - an incredible supplement that gives the brain essential fatty acids to support normal brain function. (I love the individual packet option!)
- MightyZyme - an all-natural, vegetarian supplement designed to help children combat the negative effects of enzyme depletion, which is a precursor to body dysfunction that could impede growth and brain development.
- Vetiver - essential oil with a distinct earthy and grounding scent, which can help your child stay calm during tense times.
- Cedarwood - an essential oil high in sesquiterpenes, which makes your brain happy.
- GeneYus - an essential oil blend with similar sesquiterpenes levels as Brain Power, which can help your child focus and concentrate on the task at hand! Plus it comes pre-diluted so it’s ready for use! Note: If your child has a nut allergy, you should NOT use this blend.
- Clarity - an essential oil blend specifically designed to provide greater mental concentration and alertness.
- Peppermint -an essential oil with an energizing aroma that boosts alertness. (Extra dilution suggested to decrease cooling sensation when applied topically.)
Here are a few other non-oily tips for increasing focus and concentration in children:
- Prepare an environment free from distractions
- Establish a schedule or a routine
- Allow time for frequent breaks or a power nap
- Break large tasks or goals up into smaller ones
- Add more protein into their diet, which has the ability to raise concentration levels
Do you have any other tips that you’ve found to help in this area? Any other essential oils?
For some children, the lack of flexibility in their thinking can make a seemingly simple task of transitioning from one activity or place to another extremely challenging. There are several different strategies you can employ and oils you can use to help your kiddo stay calm and accept these transitions.
- Clearly define how long the task or activity will last using a timer or some other visual cue.
- Allow your child to see what is coming next by using pictures or creating a schedule.
- As much as possible, stay consistent in your daily routines and transitions.
- Plan ahead and don’t rush; this will only cause added stress for you and your child.
Surrender - helps one surrender control
Acceptance - opens the mind to accepting new things
Grounding - promotes feelings of stability and balance
Common Sense & Brain Power - help to support clear thinking
Ylang Ylang - boosts confidence and balances emotions
Northern Lights Black Spruce & Idaho Blue Spruce - promote feelings of confidence and calm
White Angelica - repels negative emotions and energies; known as the “tantrum tamer” oil
Please keep in mind, all children are different. You may need to try a few different oils to find the one that works best for your child. All of these oils can be diffused or applied topically. As we talked about previously, dilute as needed. Allow your child to choose an oil, ask them what scents they prefer, and how they feel after using it. Sometimes they know better than we d
Did you know that you have about 700 muscles, making up nearly half your body weight?!
If your child has limited mobility, I’m sure you are always looking for ways to love on those tired muscles and support healthy blood flow.
Try these tips!
- Stay active. This may be difficult depending on how mobile your child is, but it’s important to keep muscles moving, even if done manually. PanAway is a great oil to apply after exercise of any kind since it contains Wintergreen, Helichrysum, Clove, and Peppermint essential oils. Grab a 10 ml roller bottle, add about 10 drops PanAway + 10 drops of Copaiba, top with a carrier oil and apply where needed.
- Use quality supplements. Thankfully, Young Living has provided us with supplements we can trust. Featuring bioavailable food-sourced vitamins and minerals that contain an infusion of pure, powerful essential oils, you’ll get the whole-body support you need. Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D, like those found in OmegaGize, along with the nutrients and minerals found in BLM and Sulfurzyme can provide the building blocks needed for healthy muscles.
- Keep things moving. Blood carries oxygen and oxygen is vital to all parts of the body, including the muscles. The less mobile a person is, the more you need to focus on circulation. Massage is a great way to increase blood flow and incorporating oils like Cypress, Nutmeg, Juniper, and Idaho Balsam Fir may be just the boost you need..
---- / / ----
Drop your favorite “strong man” GIF below and give us a smile!
Staying well isn’t an easy task, especially if you are dealing with a compromised immune system or an overworked body. Many things can be taxing on our body systems - regular medication intake, environmental toxins, food and products filled with harsh chemicals or synthetic ingredients. We are constantly exposed to so much that is harmful to us! It’s important to stay PROactive with our health and do our best to support our bodies BEFORE they get bogged down. Creating a DAILY wellness routine composed of good quality oils and supplements can help us live and stay above the wellness line.
Try these member favorites!
- Exodus II
Any of these oils can be added to a roller bottle for convenient application. You can even get your child involved and allow them to apply to the bottoms of their feet every morning and every night.
*Also comes in a Vitality version, which has been labeled for ingestion.
It’s a good idea to use a variety of oils to support your body’s needs, as they are constantly changing. Make up several different wellness rollers and rotate them out here and there.
Did you know a happy gut leads to a happy immune system and many other happy systems? A daily probiotic is necessary for emotional and physical wellness. If your child can swallow capsules you may consider Life9. It features 17 billion live cultures that represent nine different bacteria strains to support gut health and an overall healthy immune system. If you need something that can be taken a little more easily try MightyPro - a blend of prebiotics and probiotics! This supplement features over 8 billion active, live cultures to support digestive and immune health. Plus it’s in a super convenient packet that does not require refrigeration and tastes like a pixy stick candy. Your child will beg you to take them.
NingXia Red is also a great compliment to your daily wellness routine thanks to its primary ingredient - the Ningxia wolfberry. It’s packed with superfoods and tastes DELICIOUS! NingXia Red benefits include support for energy levels, normal cellular function, and whole-body and normal eye health. A daily shot of 2-4 ounces helps support overall wellness with powerful antioxidants. It’s also super easy to hide this in smoothies or popsicles! #momhack
What’s your child’s favorite healthy snack?
“Restful slumber is crucial for helping kids grow and develop—recent studies have linked sleep to intellectual performance—yet statistics show 50% of children with ADHD also have sleep problems. And other studies have found children on the autism spectrum tend to have lower levels of melatonin, the naturally occurring hormone that helps regulate wakefulness and sleep cycles.” ~ Parents.com
So what can you do to help your child get the rest he/she needs? Here are some suggestions from other parents of children with special needs.
- Play soothing sounds like calming music or audiobooks.
- Create a cozy environment; consider using a weighted blanket.
- Support with supplements like melatonin or essential oils.
- Avoid sugary snacks before bed and eat dinner earlier.
- Stick to a schedule and keep a journal of their routines.
As you can see, there are many different strategies you could use. If you choose to go the natural remedies route, here are some supplements and essential oils you can try to encourage a restful night’s sleep.
ImmuPro - This supplement works double duty and is one of my favorites! Not only does support the body’s natural sleep patterns with naturally-occurring melatonin, but it also provides exceptional immune system support. BONUS: It’s chewable!
SleepEssence - This soft gel capsule contains essential oils with sleep-enhancing properties along with melatonin to support a full night’s sleep. Adults only, so this one is more suited for older children.
Lemongrass - This oil soothes, relaxes, and helps promote better sleep. Diffuse at bedtime or apply topically.
Lavender & Cedarwood - This popular combo promotes calm and relaxation and can be used together or separately.
Some other oils to consider Vetiver, Valerian, Rutavala, SleepyIze, Roman Chamomile, Peace & Calming, and Stress Away. Whatever you choose, do your best to be consistent with it and don’t be afraid to try different things until you find what works.
Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, Sister, Aunt, Friend . . . you are doing the best you can!
Your days are filled with challenges.
You question whether you are doing what’s best.
You have fears about the future.
You wonder if you can make it through another day.
But you can’t do it alone.
Find a support system, ask for help, and most importantly... take care of YOU.
Support Your Body
- PanAway or Deep Relief Roll-On: These are strong oil blends that are perfect for muscles and joints.
- Cool Azul Pain Cream: Backaches, strains and sprains, stiffness and soreness . . . just a little dab will do ya!
- BLM: This supplement was designed to support healthy bones, ligaments, and muscles.
Support Your Mind
- Stress Away: Melt away the tensions of the day with this beach-in-a-bottle blend.
- Valor: This blend creates feelings of courage and confidence.
- Forgiveness: This blend helps release hurt feelings and negative emotions.
- Acceptance: This blend allows you to overcome feelings of denial and be open to accepting new things.
- White Angelica: This blend dispels negativity and creates feelings of peace, calm, and security.
You can’t pour from an empty vase. Take the time to fill yourself up, so you can be the best version of yourself for everyone else.
The best way to get access to ALL this amazingness is to become a Young Living member. How do you do that? Get yourself a starter kit! It comes with a FREE lifetime membership, which means you will get 24% off retail for life!
You can choose from several starter kits, including the most popular one - the Essential Oils Premium Starter Kit. It comes with a gorgeous diffuser, 12 of the most commonly-used essential oils, plus a handful of other goodies for you to try!
Then you can add on whatever products you want by throwing them into your Essential Rewards box! You can read about that NEXT!
Essential Rewards is a monthly subscription program with LOTS of perks. You get to choose what comes inside your box AND when it processes! Leave it as is or change it every month... up to you!
You can now enroll in Essential Rewards right away! Your starter kit can count as your first ER box. That means you'll get a FREEBIE (varies with each month) plus 10% back in rewards points RIGHT AWAY!! (Note: If you choose the Basic Starter Kit be sure to add 100pv of additional product if you want the freebies.)
Check out some of the perks!!
• Discounted shipping
• Earn points to use on future orders
• Loyalty gifts
• Freebies starting at 100pv order totals
• Access to exclusive discounted bundles
• Qualifies you to receive referral bonuses
This is just the tip of the iceberg, friend! There’s an entire community of people ready and willing to come alongside you in this journey.
Questions? Ready to grab your own wholesale kit? Comment here or Email me at email@example.com and I can help you get started.
Ain't got no time to wait? Use this link http://bit.ly/mariewylbut know that I am here to help you.
Stay connected, get my free guide, " 3 Ways to Support Your Emotions Naturally".
Save these links for quick reference and share them when someone asks you for more info:
Essential Rewards Explained - https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/opportunity/essential-rewards
ER Shipping Subscriptions YL GO & YL GO+ Explained: https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/opportunity/essential-rewards/ylgo
Product Catalog: https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/products
Earn Income For Sharing/Business Opportunity: https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/opportunity/products
I know this is a lot of information so please feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org..
To Your Health,